Monday, April 25, 2005

6th Sunday of Easter

15* ¶ "If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
21* He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." RSV

As I thought about this text this week, it struck me that I do not want to talk about the Holy Spirit as Pentecost will be coming very soon. No use spoiling that great festival.

So, then what to preach on. I think verse 15 and 21 are our source for preaching this week.

I think Jesus was trying to get across to the disciples and us that how we live our lives is important. We live our lives out of the love that Jesus has for us and that we have for him.

We live by grace, jesus loves us and then we love Him and in turn we love our neighbor. Jesus talks about keeping His commandments, He gave us just two commandments as it says in

Luke 10:27 And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.”

It is that simple. Love Jesus, love yourself and love others. We are free in the gospel to love, to risk for others and our selves.

Luther had a quote where he said, 'Sin boldly"!

He did not mean to sin but to try and do good for those around you. Free to risk. Free to love.

How do you live your life is the question I think this gospel lesson is leading us.

How is my life lived for Christ and others around me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home